Tuesday, April 17, 2012

Soda Box Upgrade

The other day I was trying to find something in my pantry (the deep dark cave of cabinets) and I said to myself in frustration that there HAD to be a better way to organize the stuff I have in there. Well, I found a cheap (and FREE!) way of handling that problem... Soda Boxes!

There will be a nice long posting about how exactly I organized my pantry on a later posting, but today I wanted to share with you how I upgraded the ugly soda boxes for my craft bookcase in the laundry room. I figure those I'm going to see all the time, so I should make them look pretty.


Supplies
Soda box (refrigerator kind) with the top cut off
Scissors
2 pieces of 12x12 scrapbook paper (don't get the thick fancy kind, just the cheap thin kind)
Mod Podge (or make your own like I did with a bottle of white glue and water)



Step 1: Start with folding your paper in half


 Step 2: Cut the fold

 Step 3: Measure

I eyeballed it and pinched the corners so it would line up again without remeasuring.


 Step 4: Get the glue

Again, I make my own mod podge. It's just a bottle of while glue (I even use the cheap kind at that) and enough water to make it look like thick milk.


 Step 5: Glue the box and add paper.

I wasn't too exact, but I did make sure that the pinched corners lined up and the paper lined up with the bottom of the box. No one want to have a wiggly box!


Step 6: Cut the corners

Following the pinch, cut down to the box. Then glue both the box and the paper, and fold down! I also glued over the top of the paper once it was glued down to ensure that it stays down. 


Step 7: Repeat step 1 and 2 with the other piece of paper, and glue down to the side of the box. 
Fold over the top just as we did in Step 6.


Step 8: Glue over the entire box rubbing out any air bubbles. 


Leave to dry and your done! Later you can add a pretty tab labeling whats in the box

I hope you have fun making these pretty boxes!

Until next time!

With love,
Emily

2 comments:

  1. That's such a great idea! My pantry isn't big enough for those boxes, anymore, but when we lived in Texas that would have been ideal. :) Maybe my next house would be good for that! Can't wait to see the finished pantry!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love these. I will have to try them

    casey

    ReplyDelete