Friday, May 24, 2013

OOoo, Crochet

Did I ever tell you that I own a Crocheting Business? No? Well, I sure do!

I was introduced to Crochet at the age of 10, but my sweet Auntie who showed me how to make doilies. I was impressed with how a tiny hook and crochet thread can be manipulated into loops and knots and suddenly it's an intricate piece of artwork. 

I tried my hand at crochet for a little while after that experience, but even with the book she sent me, I just couldn't quite get the hang of it and ended up putting it down for about 13 years.

That's was when I was a newlywed and pregnant with Thing 1. I was suddenly unable to work, and bored to tears. Mom got me started in beading, which I still love to work with, but I needed something I can take with me to my appointments and not be afraid of spilling a rainbow of little glass shards into the bottomless pit of bead hell.... also known as carpet.

So I took up crochet again. I wasn't very good at it. I couldn't read patterns yet, my tension was terribly tight, and with no one to help me, I again put it down for a while. 

7 months after having Thing 1, we make our big move across country to where we live now. At this point we had move with my parents and, until we were on our feet, living with them. Confined to one bedroom for the next 2 years, I picked up crochet again. This time, with the help of youtube, especially this wonderful lady, it took! 

Suddenly the heavens opened up and angels started singing!

Now we flash forward a few more years and I have started my own business. I specialize in baby items, like hats and toys, but my newest adventure that I have trotted into this week is taking my children's drawings and making softies from their design.

 © OOoo, Crochet 2013

 © OOoo, Crochet 2013 

 © OOoo, Crochet 2013

The one in the middle is Thing 2's drawing and I got it finished just in time to give it to her on her birthday this week. She had been hard to part with it!

This I really LOVE doing. I just love how each is unique, each is an artistic challenge, and because I'm only making one of them, constantly changing! The artist in me is extremely happy. So happy in fact, that I would really like to just specialize in doing just this and be the Imaginary Friend Factory. Good thing kids like to draw!

So if you are ever in store for something unique or even just want to see more of my work, head over to OOoo, Crochet

I am having a contest right now! I'm trying to reach 100 likes on my page. So far we are a little more than halfway there. As soon as we get 100 likes, a random liker is going to win one of my famous owls! 

 © OOoo, Crochet 2013

Will it be you? HOO know!

With Love,
Emily



No comments:

Post a Comment