Saturday, April 13, 2013

Homemade Carpet Cleaner

I've lived in this house since the summer of 2009, and I have never washed the carpets. Needless to say I really need to shampoo them after having a baby and toddler grow up in this house and dropping/smearing any kind of liquid/gooey substance into the carpet,  and spot remover has been my best friend... until I couldn't afford to buy more.

So after going some time without carpet stain remover, (hey I homeschool now and I'm not actually interested in staring at the carpets), I decided that enough was enough. So I looked on pinterest and google and found many bloggers posting about dawn 'the-miracle-of-life' dish soap and hydrogen peroxide.

Really? It's like magic? MMmmm hmmm... sure.

Ok, I thought it a try, because as I said before, I can't really afford the actual store bought stuff anymore.

So the recipe I used is:
1 part dawn 
2 parts hydrogen peroxide

And the recipe for those who don't want to do mental math today:
1/2 cup of dawn
1 cup of hydrogen peroxide
(small batch)

Ok so here we go!

This is a test I literally did last night, so the pictures are kind of a funny color, but it's well worth the effort!

Spray on your concoction, use an old toothbrush (do I really have to tell you old? Not like you are going to want to use it in your mouth again..) and gently agitate the spot, wait few seconds (about the time needed to find the towel that thought you brought with you to the test) and then blot the spot!



As you can see, the spot in the lower part of the picture is GONE. Really, truly, GONE!


Yeah, I didn't think it would work either, given that it took less than a minute to clean a spot that's been there for at least a year. But it really does work, it really only took less than a minute, and now you can clean up some spots around your house too!

Word of advice: store the concoction in a dark place. Hydrogen peroxide needs to be kept in the dark (hence why it's in a brown bottle) because the Hydrogen is H2O2 will turn into H2O when exposed to too much sunlight. 

With Love,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment