Saturday, June 15, 2013

No Cook Play Dough

Today the kids decided that since it was too hot and humid, not to mention the low lying threat of thunderstorms, to go outside today, that today was a good day to battle to the death with each other. Oh my goodness gracious, God help me.

I tried every thing that I could think of, school work, movies, ringing the bell to make them go back to separate corners. Absolutely nothing was working.

So I called Dad and asked for some ideas. He suggested to make something with them, even if it was just cutting up paper and gluing it on another paper.

Not feeling up to making a giant mess, I decided that making some play dough was the way to go.

Here's the recipe that I used.

No Cook Play Dough

4 cups plain flour
2 cups salt
4 tbl veggie oil
4 tbl cream of tartar
3 cups boiling water
food coloring or kool-aid for coloring

Stir all together and play!

I wanted to make mine with an added element of interest, so I made them..

MYSTERY COLORS!


Grab a handful of dough and a packet of kool-aid.


Use the whole packet!


Or use 5+ drops of food coloring


Carefully fold over the dough around the color.


Let Thing 1 and Thing 2 choose a mystery color.


Start mixing kiddos! Thing 2 is checking out how big brother does it first.


I'M GONNA WRECK IT!


Explore different ways of making the color mix... poke poke. Love how he sticks his tongue out in concentration; just like his daddy.


Show mommy how much fun this is!


Thing 2 just poked her finger in to peek at the color instead of mixing. Cheater. :o)


Despite the Cinderella Blue color, she was not happy she got blue. She wanted pink.  


 The kids got tired of mixing, so I did for them as they looked on. The bottom three are the kool-aid packets. They smell wonderful!


 Play dough was a big hit! They stopped their fighting, ok well mostly, and enjoyed playing with the play dough on and off throughout the day. Woo hoo!

Color recognition. Check.
Fine and gross motor skills. Check.
Social skills. Check.

Oh...


 Thing 2 made me the Earth. 
I think that's supposed to be Ireland. Lots of shamrocks.

Geography and Earth Science... Check.

We're done.

With Love,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment