Saturday, May 3, 2014

DIY Hard Water Stain and that Pink Stuff Remover


Behold! I bring you a miracle in a bottle!




Do you have hard water stains? 
Do you have that pink or orange guck on the bottom of your shower? 
Have you tried every brand on the market only to scrub in vain??

Then put down that sponge and MAKE yourself a bottle of miracles!

Ok, seriously, this isn't exactly a miracle, but pretty close to one!

So here's what you need to make your own bottle. 

1) A clean bottle
2) White vinegar
3) 1/4 cup Lemon juice
4) Blue Dawn Dish Soap

Fill the bottle more that half way full of vinegar, add the lemon juice, and fill the rest of the bottle with Dawn. Shake, spray, let sit for 30 minutes, scrub.

AND THAT'S IT! 

I wish I had a before and after, but imagine glass shower doors opaque with hard water stains and a shower floor disgustingly orange with Serratia marcescens (surprisingly not a mold, but a bacteria that can cause urinary tract infection and, rarely, pneumonia). 

First, I wetted a couple of new dryer sheets and scrubbed the doors clean of any soap scum. (YES, I said DRYER SHEETS! They work great!!) Then I sprayed the whole thing down, waited my 30 minutes, and scrubbed. First the shower doors (with a sponge) and then the floor (with an old toothbrush,... totally getting myself a bigger brush). 

The doors came out as crystal clear as the day they were installed (yes, the very doors in the picture) and the floor came out nearly white again. I got tired of scrubbing with a little toothbrush, so next time I expect it to be perfectly clean. 

I hope you will try this! It will work on any surface you have hard water stains on!

With Love,
Emily

No comments:

Post a Comment